MEMBERSHIP IN THE PATAWOMECK TRIBE
We welcome all people of legally documentable Patawomeck Indian lineage who are dedicated to reviving and keeping alive the heritage of our ancestors to become active members of the Patawomeck Tribe if they meet the requirements listed below.
In order to qualify for tribal membership, your Patawomeck family lineage must be documented. This is a step you must complete, to the best of your abilities, before requesting membership. The Tribe does not have the time or resources to complete the genealogy for every applicant. We do have access to various vital records of local families, (i.e. Newton, Monteith, Green, Sullivan, etc...) and may be able to fill in gaps during the application review process but the burden of genealogical proof lies with you, the applicant. For additional genealogical resources, click here.
- Your family must be listed on the 1860 census of the White Oak area of Stafford County or closely surrounding area (such as the city of Fredericksburg or Pasapatanzy in King George
- Your family must have interacted with the White Oak or closely surrounding area in the 20th century.
HOW TO APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP
Membership Application - Print Version Only
Membership Application- Electronic "Fillable" Version
***Each Individual must complete a separate application.***
***We do not extend Group/Family Memberships***
1. Gather copies of the following documents.
Please do not send the original documents! We may not be able to return them to you.
- Copy of the birth certificate for each individual applying for membership
- A lineage chart of your family tree, including siblings for each family group
- Pertinent marriage certificates and death certificates
- Any other copies of documents that may be necessary for documentation purposes: Family Bible pages, Church Records, etc..
2a. Please download and print the application by clicking the link below:
2b. Please download the electronic version of the application by clicking the link below:
3. After you complete the application mail it to the address shown on the application, with the copies of your documentation, lineage chart, and any other application documents or file electronically.
Only legal guardians may sign the application for minors. If you are not the natural parents, please provide copies of any court documents granting you guardianship over the individual.
Adopted children are not entitled to Full Tribal Membership. They may be eligible for Honorary Membership.
With the electronic version we also require the applicant's signature to be on the membership application. A scanned copy of the document is sufficient. If you would prefer, you can mail it to:
Patawomeck Membership Coordinator
PO Box 7665
Fredericksburg, VA 22404
The membership approval process could take up to a year.
When the application arrives at the Membership Coordinator's desk, he/she will review the application & documentation with the Historian Emeritus. After they have reviewed the application, they will present it at the next scheduled open Council meeting for approval. If your application is approved, you will then be contacted with information on obtaining a Tribal Membership Card.
Benefits of Membership
All Tribal Members, over the age of 18, can bring concerns to the Tribal Council but only Council members can vote at the open Council meetings.
All members, 18 years and older, can vote at the Annual meetings.
All members, of all ages, have the right and are encouraged to participate in our events and language classes.
Tribal Members with Honorary Status as explained on the application, by Federal and State Law, are not qualified to apply for any Native American benefits or grants extended to members of Federal and State Recognized Indian Tribes.